Import your blog posts
Importing your blog posts gives you a few options. First, you need to make sure the data you want to import is in one of the accepted formats. Here is some information about supported formats.
- BlogML is an open standard for blog content supported by Community Server, DasBlog, Subtext, SingleUserBlog, Windows Live Space, WordPress, and others.
- WordPress XML (WXR) is an extended RSS format for the WordPress system.
- RSS is a common standard supported by most every blogging system. However, RSS feeds generally only contain a group of the most recent posts contained on a blog, so it may be impossible to import all of your blog's posts using its RSS feed. Also, RSS feeds do not always contain the comments associated with a post. Therefore, RSS should be a last resort for importing blog content.
- Export your blog posts from your current site or another site that has posts you would like to import.
- Navigate to the blog element where you would like to import the posts.
- Click on Settings from the Blog element toolbar dropdown.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Scroll to the bottom to the heading Blog Import.
- Beneath the Import From a File, click on the Choose File button to find your file to import.
- Note: If you do not have a file to import you can choose the import from a URL option by typing in the URL of the blog posts.
- It is recommended that you click in the check box for Generate 301 redirects for imported posts? to help with SEO.
- Click the Import Blog Posts button.
- Click the Save my changes or Cancel button.
Posted on Fri, August 1, 2008